White House to force "back doors" in all communication media [Telecom]

In today's (27-SEP-2010) Slashdot:

The White House plans to deliver a bill to Congress next year that will require Internet-based communication services that use encryption to be capable of decrypting messages to comply with federal wiretap orders.

The bill will go beyond CALEA to apply to services such as Blackberry email. Even though RIM has stated that it does not currently have an ability to decrypt messages via a master key or back door, the bill may require them to. Regarding this development, James Dempsey of the Center for Democracy and Technology commented on the proposal, saying, 'They basically want to turn back the clock and make Internet services function the way that the telephone system used to function.'

***** Moderator's Note *****

From the foxnews article cited above:

National security officials and federal law enforcement argue their ability to eavesdrop on terror suspects is increasingly "going dark," The New York Times reported, as more communication takes place via Internet services, rather than by traditional telephone.

I've been holding off on this issue, but now it's time to speak. I don't think the feds are demanding Son-of-Clipper in order to fight terrorism: I think that's a sham.

What are elected "leaders" are really scared about is that ordinary citizens will start doing (encrypted) banking in countries that don't deduct taxes from their citizen's paychecks. Think about it: if I want you to sell/do something for me, and we agree on a price for the hardware/software/service, you're probably willing to charge less if my payment to you is in Swiss Francs, Deutsche Marks, or Krugerands. After all, those governments might not charge you taxes based on your bank balance, and might even have laws that prohibit their own tax authorities from checking!

The income tax and the payroll deductions that feed it has been the engine of the Federal government's growth since it was instituted. The ever-increasing bite is hidden behind a wall of bureaucracy, FUD, and sleight-of-hand that distributes funds to centers for "exploited children" which are actually used to eavesdrop on exploited voters, at the same time that even the most staunch supporters of Democracy are gritting their teeth at the ever-decreasing fraction of the tax bill which actually benefits the elderly, the poor, or the impaired.

Let's face facts: governments are in the business of collecting tribute by force of arms, and of redistributing that tribute to their most influential patrons. Our government knows this, but it is very afraid that ordinary people will realize it too, and start to use encryption to bypass the patriotic shell game and keep their money in their pockets.

The only terrorism involved in this issue is the terrorized look in the eyes of the pigs who have been repainting our collective barn since the cold war started: they are scared that the workhorses of society will jump the (electronic) fence and leave them feeling slightly less equal than others. You heard it here first.

Bill Horne Moderator

Copyright (C) 2010 E.W. Horne. All Rights Reserved.

Reply to
Thad Floryan
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.