Verizon and FCC push "MmWave" For 5G Wireless, In Dot-Com Twist [telecom]

Federal regulators and Verizon Communications (VZ) have zeroed in on airwaves that could make the U.S. the global leader in rolling out 5G wireless services.

One market opportunity for 5G may be as a challenger to the cable TV industry's broadband dominance. Think Verizon Wireless, not Verizon's FiOS-branded landline service, vs. the likes of Comcast (or Charter Communications.

First, though, airwaves need to be freed up for 5G. That's where high-frequency radio spectrum, also called millimeter wave, comes in. In particular, U.S. regulators are focused on the 28 gigahertz frequency band, analysts say. Most wireless phone services today use radio frequency below 3 GHz.

formatting link

--------------------

And, on a personal note, I have lived long enough to see 28 GHz being called "High Frequency". Although I'm not old enough to have considered frequencies about 30 MHz to be "Ultra High", I am used to them being referred to as "Very High Frequency" (VHF). It used to be that "Ultra High Frequencies" started at 300 Mhz, but not it seems to be, at least in this case, no longer a meaningful definition.

Reply to
Bill Horne
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.