The Bank Account That Sprang a Leak [Telecom]

The Bank Account That Sprang a Leak

By DIANA B. HENRIQUES August 30, 2008

They are a staple of consumer-complaint hotlines and Web sites: anguished tales about money stolen electronically from bank accounts, about unhelpful bank tellers and, finally, about unreimbursed losses.

But surely customers of the elite private banking operation at JPMorgan Chase, serving only the bank's wealthiest clients, are safe from such problems, right?

Wrong, says Guy Wyser-Pratte, an activist investor on Wall Street for more than 40 years who uses his hedge fund's war chest of roughly $500 million to wage takeover fights and proxy battles in the United States and Europe.

In May, Mr. Wyser-Pratte learned that someone had siphoned nearly $300,000 from his personal account at the private bank through many small electronic transfers over a 15-month period. Then he was told by the bank that he could stop the theft only by closing his account and opening a new one - an enormous hassle, he said. And finally, JPMorgan Chase told him that the bank would cover only $50,000 of his losses.

formatting link

***** Moderator's Note *****

As I've said before, Monty gets slightly more lattitude when it comes to my decisions about what is and is not related to telecom. I'm allowing this post because it relates to the discussion we need to have about the affect of international telecommunications on the lives of "western world" Internet users.

Everything form the "419" scammers to a company such as Ebay depends on the existence of not only the Internet, but the change in world-view which precedes acceptance of online banking, i.e., ordinary people being willing to trust their money to the good faith and (assumed) competence of companies outside the traditional banking industry. That change has been conducted without any meaningful supervision or regulation, and it has allowed third parties such as PayPal to gain world-class economic clout by profiting from the electronic transfer of money, without government safeguards or oversight.

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

Please put [Telecom] at the end of your subject line, or I may never see your post! Thanks!

We have a new address for email submissions: telecomdigestmoderator atsign telecom-digest.org. This is only for those who submit posts via email: if you use a newsreader or a web interface to contribute to the digest, you don't need to change anything.

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

formatting link
Back a few years ago when I installed POS systems I brushed up against the banking system. What I saw made me aware that my money, and yours is never truly safe in a bank unless extreme vigilance is employed.

As an example, banks go gaga for intrusion detection systems but it requires only a low tech approach to rob someone blind because of the way the demand draft system is setup.

Sort of how incorporating RFID in credit cards was viewed as a good idea. Some guy bought an RFID reader for $8 on ebay and could brush up against someone and get their CC info.

Banks believe in security through obscurity. But if you take the time to learn about how the banking system moves money, you can see numerous holes through which you could siphon off money and they'd never realize it, at least not for a very long time.

Reply to
T

formatting link

When I buy online I use a onetime CC number and most of my in store purchases require a pin number, my bank offers that option on its credit cards, or they ask for ID which is not fool proof, but helps.

Reply to
Steven Lichter

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.