Teletypes and computers--50th anniversary of BASIC language [telecom]

Dartmouth is celebrating the 50th anniversary of the development of the BASIC computer language in 1964.

Users typically accessed the computer through dial-up phone lines and ASCII Teletype terminals; this was a pioneering application.

A terminal room photo:

formatting link

(I believe the units pictured are the heavy duty model 35; along with the built-in dial-up modem.)

Reply to
HAncock4
Loading thread data ...

NPR had a story on it this morning. Including a sound byte of clattering teletypes.

Dartmouth Celebrates 50 Years Of BASIC Computer Language

formatting link

Audio is 5 minutes.

Reply to
Hal Murray

set-72157643275728555/

In my case I cut my teeth on Digital Equipment Corp (DEC) LA34's and VT100's:

formatting link
DEC_LA34.jpg

formatting link

That was my first year of college. The system was a PDP-11/70. I'd already gotten the chance to play around with a PDP-11/34 and knew all the commands for it.

But then my next years courses had me taking PL/I and that was batch mode on punch cards. How I hated that.

Reply to
tonypo

I started in Watfor fortran in 1966. Punch cards doing a Physics coefficient of friction problem with two masses. Basic came in college over the phone to Rome Air Force Base with the TTY and punch tape. The last time with TTY was APL language and instead of single Greek letters commands were in the form of $RO. They still made less noise than pin printers. MarkSent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

Reply to
Mark Smith

I think those are Model 33 TWX machines.

Ah, but think of how much you learned!

Quick, what happens when you overpunch a digit in row 11?

Bill "Kids these days, they have it easy ..." Horne

Reply to
Bill Horne

Link doesn't work:(

Reply to
Julian Thomas

printers. MarkSent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

Link doesn't work:(

Reply to
Mark Smith

Works for my browser, and for isup.me ... but it's just a page inviting all and sundry to "Create your Yahoo email account Fast, simple to use email with 1TB of free mail storage".

HTH. Cheers, -- tlvp

Reply to
tlvp

In the picture series, there is one 33 unit. While the overall lines of the two models are similar, the 35 had a higher profile, and the paper cover was a dome; while the 33 had a flat cover.

formatting link

Here is the writeup for the model 35:

formatting link

(The Dartmouth units appear not to have any paper tape read/punch capability).

Reply to
HAncock4

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.