[telecom] Local theaters ready to bow to tweeters in the audience / But distraction to others a primary concern

Local theaters ready to bow to tweeters in the audience But distraction to others a primary concern

By Beth Teitell Globe Staff / December 28, 2011

To tweet or not to tweet? That's the question facing Boston-area theaters as live-performance venues nationwide start offering "tweet seats'' for patrons who feel the need to tweet about what they are seeing during the show, not just after it.

Purists are already complaining about the glow from all those tiny screens; think of it as secondhand phone. And Suffolk University English professor Thomas Connolly calls the trend a victory for marketing directors.

But tweet seat sections are gaining a fingerhold in Massachusetts. The Lowell Memorial Auditorium has tweet seats planned for the mid-January run of "Sesame Street Live'' and two subsequent shows. Tweet seats may be offered at the Lyric Stage Company of Boston's spring performance of "Avenue Q.'' the irreverent puppet musical for adults. It may also come sometime in 2012 at the Hanover Theatre for the Performing Arts in Worcester and at the Central Square Theater in Cambridge, where the marketing director wants to figure out just where in his 225-seat venue tweeters can flex their thumbs without disturbing fellow audience members or the performers.

The marketing value of such an addition is clearly attractive. Subscription rates are falling across the country, and a younger audience remains elusive. Live tweeting - silent, of course - is seen as a way to enhance the experience for the tweeter and to encourage followers to see the show.

formatting link

***** Moderator's Note *****

In the catalog of really bad ideas, this one is right up there with the M-16 rifle, the notion that the U.S. could create a new country in Iraq, buying pet food online, and the PC Junior. Hell, it's in a crass

- pun intended - by itself.

The social compact of our society is being torn by fast-buck artists who are trying to convince the body politic that annoying jerks are entitled to go to a public venue and conduct a distracting sideshow which degrades both the quality of the play and the rights of those who paid good money to watch the performance without being bothered.

THis is a new low, even for the cellular industry, which has been driving public and private etiquette ever-downward since the start of the cellular network. And, before anyone tries to compare this to being in a concert hall where the audience is served by waiters, I'll say that human beings have a great, innate ability to discern the difference between actors on a stage and someone walking by on the floor, and that a waitress bringing a bottle of wine to a table isn't one one-hundredth as distracting as an artificial device glowing like a sick firefly.

I'm going to write to the Boston Globe and to the venues mentioned, and tell everyone that I will not attend any show in a place that encourages snot-nosed brats to annoy those around them with their expensive toys. I urge the readers to do likewise.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

Per Monty Solomon:

I mostly gave up on movie theaters when they started turning the sound up all the way and playing commercials before the movies.

Granted a move is best experienced on a big screen, but the downsides just don't justify it for me.

- - Pete Cresswell

***** Moderator's Note *****

I agree that commercials in movie theaters are irritating: I make it a rule to show up about ten minutes late, since in this area, that's the "standard" interval for all-the-stuff-I-can-do-without.

That, however, is a /personal/ choice, and I can choose to make my dissatisfaction known to the management if the sound is too loud or if they are playing commercials. Having the management encourage the use of cell phones during a performance is something else entirely: it's a vicious circle that drives older, more conservative viewers out of theaters, while encouraging (they hope) the younger, less thrifty crowd to invite their gen xyz friends over to spend lots and lots and lots of money.

It will fail, as such short-sited plans always do, because nobody really wants to be bothered during a performance. The whole idea of going to a movie or a play is that you get to sit quietly and /be/ /entertained/, with nothing expected of you except the common civility to let others do the same. Teenagers sending text messages to their friends will soon grow into adults who want to be /left/ /alone/ when they're out for the evening, and there aren't enough replacements for them to sustain such a profit model.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Pete Cresswell

They were playing commercials in movie theaters when I was a kid and later a teenager in the 1930s and 1940s. One of the most prominent purveyors of such commercials was the Alexander Film Company of Colorado Springs, Colo.

Wes Leatherock snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
Wes Leatherock

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.