[telecom] Iranians discover that finding a needle in a Haystack ain't hard...

[VOA]

What Went Wrong With Haystack?

It seemed too good to be true, and perhaps that should have been the first warning. "Haystack" was said to be just the needed tool for Iranian democracy activists to break through governmental firewalls and hide their identity. In the end, it may have put them at risk. How did the promise of Haystack go so wrong? -------- rest (basically that too many people wanted to believe in the Emperor's new clothes, and almost no one checked first...):

formatting link
may be power, but communications is the key snipped-for-privacy@panix.com [to foil spammers, my address has been double rot-13 encoded]

Reply to
danny burstein
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

There was nothing wrong with Haystack: it just never existed. It was an idea borne aloft on the winds of hype, sustained by the breezy publicity of the "once over, lightly" technical press, and finally brought down by a zephyr of reality.

Anyone who has dealt with the Iranian police - my cousin was in that country while in the Army - will tell you that they're not the brightest bulbs on the tree. They are however, very effective, with an arsenal that includes pliers, flatirons, and cattle prods. It's ludicrous to think that anyone could "hide" something from them when their first (and, usually, the only needed) response to a computer security problem is rubber-hose cryptography.

The "authors" of Haystack are - let's be kind - inexperienced in International Politics. Their time would have been better spent conducting a hunger strike outside the Iranian embassy: perhaps the clarity of starvation would have taught them to start with the basics instead of jumping from supposition to grand scheme.

My 2¢. YMMV.

Bill Horne (Filter QRM for direct replies)

Reply to
Bill Horne

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.