photos/article of VZ NYC hurricane cleanup [telecom]

It turns out that, as you might guess, basements and 15 foot storm surges... don't mix well.

Triply so when it's salt water.

formatting link
lost of photos..

_____________________________________________________ Knowledge may be power, but communications is the key snipped-for-privacy@panix.com [to foil spammers, my address has been double rot-13 encoded]

Reply to
danny burstein
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

As a testament to the stuttering wonders water can do for RF signals I offer the following:

We had a VAN[1] via Cox that ran from the RI State House to our facility on the northern end of the city of Providence. We noticed we were getting heavy latency on the VAN.

Now keep in mind, we had been having serious weather with lots of rain. Seems that Cox had an amplifier in a manhole at the bottom of the State Hosue grounds. It filled up with water.

Then of course there's when we had to move the cable modem up from the sub-basement to the basement level. Those modems don't like a very hot signal and the location we moved to had an amplifier in the same closet.

The solution - since the Cox tech didn't know what an attenuator was, was to spool up a couple hundred feet of coax and then connect it. Problem solved.

***** Moderator's Note *****

1. According to Wikipedia -

A Value-added Network (VAN) is a hosted service offering that acts as an intermediary between business partners sharing standards based or proprietary data via shared Business Processes. The offered service is referred to as "Value-added Network Service".

Now, here's what puzzles me: why would you get latency instead of a failed signal? If the manhole was flooded, I'd expect the signal to go dark.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
T

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.