[telecom] Disruptions: At Odds Over Privacy Challenges of Wearable Computing

Disruptions: At Odds Over Privacy Challenges of Wearable Computing

By NICK BILTON MAY 26, 2013

Perhaps the best way to predict how society will react to so-called wearable computing devices is to read the Dr. Seuss children's story "The Butter Battle Book."

The book, which was published in 1984, is about two cultures at odds. On one side are the Zooks, who eat their bread with the buttered side down. In opposition are the Yooks, who eat their bread with the buttered side up. As the story progresses, their different views lead to an arms race and potentially an all-out war.

Well, the Zooks and the Yooks may have nothing on wearable computing fans, who are starting to sport devices that can record everything going on around them with a wink or subtle click, and the people who promise to confront violently anyone wearing one of these devices.

I've experienced both sides of this debate with Google's Internet-connected glasses, Google Glass. Last year, after Google unveiled its wearable computer, I had a brief opportunity to test it and was awe-struck by the potential of this technology.

A few months later, at a work-related party, I saw several people wearing Glass, their cameras hovering above their eyes as we talked. I was startled by how much Glass invades people's privacy, leaving them two choices: stare at a camera that is constantly staring back at them, or leave the room.

formatting link

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

Per Monty Solomon:

Somewhere I got the impression that Google-Glass-type devices will become more-or-less undetectable in the foreseeable future.

Reply to
Pete Cresswell

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.