Re: XM and Sirius Consider Merger

XM and Sirius Consider Merger

> By Peter B. de Selding > Space News Staff Writer > PARIS -- The two big U.S. satellite-radio companies, XM and Sirius, > reported sharply contrasting performance in 2006 but agree that a > merger would result in substantial cost savings and might even pass > muster with U.S. regulators. >
formatting link
> Comment: As long-time Telecom-Digest readers know, I've long been an > advocate of classical music radio. During my years in the cable TV > industry, I argued in favor of carrying classical-music FM stations > (particularly WFMT) on cable FM. I never had much success with that > argument, and by the 1990s, cable FM was all but dead. Most cable > systems now carry one of the two digital audio services, DMX Music or > Music Choice. >
formatting link
> DBS companies carried those same digital audio services for several > years: DirecTV carried Music Choice and Sirius carried DMX Music. A > year or so ago, both companies switched to satellite radio: DirecTV > switched to XM and Echostar (Dish Network) switched to Sirius. As a > DirecTV subscriber, I ended up with XM. > After listening to XM's two classical channels (VOX and XM Classics) > for the past year, I've become a fan of sorts. Their announcers > generally sound like they know what they're talking about, and they > usually pronounce foreign languages correctly. In great contrast to > Music Choice, XM actually does offer choice. Both classical channels > carry a huge variety of music, including many historic recordings. > Given my long-standing advocacy of WFMT, I can't help comparing XM with WFMT: > - XM Classics carries numerous live concert recordings, > many from the WFMT Radio Network. > - XM is non-commercial: unlike WFMT, it carries no > advertising. But XM's prerecorded station breaks are > idiotic and annoying. Given the obvious close association > between XM and WFMT, I wish XM would adopt WFMT's policy > of having all station breaks delivered by the live (even > if tape-delayed) announcer. > - XM's listeners are loyal bunch, just as WFMT's listeners > were. Each channel seems to have its own fan base, with > an e-mail mailing list. Robert Aubrey Davis, producer of > VOX, often remarks about the loyalty of his audience. And > he even answers his e-mail! > All in all, I feel vindicated. After all those years in the cable > industry when I was unsuccessfully advocating classical music, the DBS > companies (cable's archrivals, no less) have proven my thesis: > classical music is a salable product. > So now comes the news that XM and Sirius may merge. Economically, > that makes sense -- I've always suspected that it might happen, > especially in light of the fact that neither company is yet > profitable. > But I'm concerned about what may happen to the classical channels if > they merge. Sirius carries the Metropolitan Opera's new channel > which I'd like to hear. But I'm afraid > that a merged company would drop XM VOX in the process of > consolidating their channel lineups. I'd certainly miss VOX. > I guess I'll just have to wait and see. > Neal McLain > [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: A very good service I found on internet > while looking one day for streaming radio stations was a service > called '1.FM'. It is strictly internet, with about thirty channels of > music available, ranging from rock and popular music through classical, > baroque and opera. You will find it at
formatting link
and it is a > service of EGI Hosting.com . 24 hours per day, just constant music of > the type desired. I am told many people who desire music on their web > pages simply embed it on their sites. One thing EGI Hosting does is > technical maintainence of audio streams and they sell you your very > own 'radio station' if you wish. All sorts of 'alternative' audio > streams are available on EGI Hosting, and quite inexpensive; a lot > less than what a 'regular' radio station over the air would cost to > operate. They also provide URLs; its up to you to advertise your > 'radio station' and sell advertising if desired, and staff it. You > can operate out of a corner in your basement if you wish, with an > internet link to EGI Hosting; they take it from there. Another good > example of this is 'Radio Dizzy, 66' which comes out of Europe but > in English with hourly international newscasts amd some specialized > programs. Being strictly internet, all these stations avoid the > sometimes messy problems with the United States FCC. I was amazed > when searching Google to find many, many internet-only based > stations. And a smart person can easily figure out how to embed these > streams in other web sites, etc, making sure to observe copyright. PAT]

WGBH, a PBS radio station in Boston, has started a 24/7 Classical HD radio channel, and wisely are streaming it over the web at:

formatting link

--Gene

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Thanks for passing along this information. Much of Thursday I spent installing two new radio streams -- WGBH Boston and WQXR New York as choices on one of my (unrelated to telecom) web sites. For interested parties, the URL is
formatting link
. PAT]
Reply to
Gene S. Berkowitz
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.