Re: Worst Phishing Fraud Attack Ever! 40 Million Cards Affected

The problem with this article's title is that it was not a phishing > attack.

> Note that the article says virus-like, the following is an excerpt > from an article attributed to the LA Times. Reportedly someone planted > a harvesting programme which is virus like in the sense that it > operates stealthily but may not be like a virus in how it propagates.

The report seems to indicate it was a trojan, not a phish attempt, actually.

But I misread - CardSystems DOES process for merchants as well as financial institutions.

My statement still stands, however, since it'd be tough to find out who does the processing for any given merchant. Often, the merchant won't even know because it's not important to them as long as the payments get processed. Being someone who's worked with e-commerce systems that are only compatible with certain processing platforms, I often have to know, but I'm not Joe Average, of Uncle Joe's Gift Shop, who only needs to swipe cards and have the payments go through...

JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / snipped-for-privacy@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED Coming to you from Southern California's High Desert, where the temperatures are as high as the gas prices! / 888.480.4NET (4638)

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"

Reply to
Steve Sobol
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.