Re: Who Gets to See the E-mail of the Deceased?

In an addendum to article , PAT noted:

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I would think however, that if the > 'internet company' later got in a legal hassle about this -- let's say > for example, tomorrow I showed up at the ISP's office with my properly > notorized papers as the executor of the soldier's estate and asked > them where is my email, and made a legal stench because they (ISP) > had already given it away to someone else, they (ISP) could make a > reasonable defense: "We acted in good faith; not knowing of any other > executor to the estate. Typically for unmarried young soldiers who > die in combat, their parents _are_ the executors, and in good faith > we worked with them on that basis." I think that would hold up if > the ISP were to get sued, since it is unreasonable the ISP as one of > its obligations is to search for other executors.

You're right on one thing. It is *NOT* the ISP's duty to 'search out' other executors. It is their duty to act *only* _with_ the "properly desigated" executor. Which requires _proof_ of the appointment to that position. Which comes only from the court.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.