Re: Very Early Modems

In the IBM history series by Pugh et al, they said IBM converted

> punched cards to paper tape for transmission in the 1940s. My guess > is that that particular transmission used telegraph TTY lines (not > voice) of either AT&T or Western Union. Recall that AT&T maintained > telegraph long distance lines as part of carrier long distance > circuits. Because of the low bandwidth, a telegraph channel could be > carried on the low end of a carrier channel. Accordingly, no > modulation was required and thus no modem needed. > It was also said IBM limited development in this area to avoid > annoying AT&T who was IBM's best customer.

This makes sense. The Western union systems were basically designed to take baudot paper tape, 5 bits across, with certain headers at the beginning and ends of messages. Messages would often be punched on paper tape at a switching office and batched up for later transmission, basically the first store-and-forward systems.

However, in the 1950s, IBM developed card-to-card directly without > paper tape and "over AT&T lines". Modems were developed to take good > advtg of the available bandwidth (about 1200 baud). Undoubtedly the > equipment and implementation was developed in close cooperation with > AT&T.

This was the IBM "Card-to-card" transceiver. I don't know when they first came out, but the Army started implementing them in a nationwide network in September of 1956.

I was wondering if the modems in that application were supplied by IBM > (who appears to have developed the technology) or by AT&T. My > understanding that AT&T's "Dataset" modem-telephones didn't come out > until the 1960s. > Comments by anyone familiar with pre-1960 data communications would be > greatly appreciated.

I believe they used 4-wire leased lines, with data access arrangement boxes provided by Ma Bell. So the signals going into the big grey box next to the reader/punch were analogue. I don't recall what the transmission rate was, but they sent EBCDIC directly without any translation to a 5-channel code and no added headers.

--scott

"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

Reply to
Scott Dorsey
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.