Re: Verizon, Voicewing and Portability

[[.. munch ..]]

*IF* you have a _reliable_ cable TV provider, they may offer Internet

> access, and could be worth checking out. If, like many places, the cable > TV service is subject to frequent short-duration outages, you should take > into consideration what effect similar outages will have on your Internet > use. > [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: In the nearly two years since I decided > to ditch Southwestern Bell (for everything) and go with CableOne for > my high speed internet, I do not think there has been five minutes of > downtime. Well, there was one time I decided to move a television set > into my computer room so I could watch television while working on the > Digest, and in the process of hooking up a splitter to the cable line > and attaching a television/radio combination to the cable which (at > that point in my system) had just been the internet, I got a splitter > installed incorrectly. I had that same day installed a Cisco router > for the computers, and between the ill-advised television/radio on the > cable line in my computer room and the Cisco router, the Motorola SB-4220 > Surfboard Cable Modem (supplied by CableOne) somehow lost track of what > it was doing. But the tech guy at CableOne very graciously got me back > on line in about 10 minutes once I decided to call them and ask for help. > Cable only rarely goes off line, I have found. PAT]

A lot depends on where you are, and who your cable provider is. "Big city" cable tends to be -less- reliable than smaller-town installation. Probably because bigger cities tended to get wired earlier. Older, more problematic, infrastructure.

Cable TV here -- metro Chicago -- has short-duration outages (i.e.,

3-15 seconds or so) several times a week, *on*average*. It looks like an amplifier somewhere power-cycles. I _don't_ know about the Internet service, but the "reliability" of the TV failures does not inspire confidence.

My folks, in another state, have 'cable Internet' -- they don't have any choice, being a couple of thousand feet too far away from the C.O. for DSL. A few weeks ago, the cable company did an over-night 'upgrade' of the head-end equipment. It was FIVE DAYS before my folks Internet connection worked again. Getting the problem resolved took: more than TWELVE HOURS (cumulative) sitting on hold, waiting to speak to a customer-service rep, _and_ *THREE* on-site visits by the cable co. techs, Ultimate determination, it _was_ a problem in the new head-end gear; the site visits didn't accomplish anything, except to establish that what my folks were reporting was the _exact_ truth.

*sigh*.

Cable may be a good choice for some. A lot depends on the provider. Unfortunately, in most locales, you have as much choice for a cable provider as you have for an ILEC.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.