Re: Verizon's TV Licensing May be Only Half the Fight

>> Verizon Communications Inc. looks increasingly impatient to roll out

>> its Web-based television service nationwide, suing a Maryland county >> last week for hampering its entry, but getting licenses may only be >> half the battle. >> Analysts say that while Verizon's state-of-the-art fiber optic network >> allows multiple channels of high-definition video and faster >> downloading, the phone company must show more proof that its >> multibillion-dollar investment is worthwhile. >> "This is a once-in-a-century network upgrade," said Shawn Strickland, >> head of Verizon's FiOS TV product line. >> But while Verizon is connecting fiber optic cables directly to >> customers' homes to optimize bandwidth, AT&T is making use of existing >> copper lines and as a result spending only around half as much on >> fiber, analysts say. >> Moreover, programming and prices are alike. Most FiOS customers who >> take triple play packages pay around $100 a month, similar to cable >> operators' bundles. > Interesting article. > Suppose Verizon fibers up my neighborhood and comes to my curb; and I > tell 'em I only want a double play package: Internet connectivity, at > some reasonable bandwidth (maybe 1 to 10 Mb/s) and phone -- no TV. > Think they'll sell me that at a somewhat lower price?

They're here in my neighborhood (MetroWest MA), and are offering

5Mb/2Mb (Up/Down) service for $35/month, 15Mb/2Mb for $45, and 30Mb/5Mb for $180 with a 1-year commitment. They move your existing telephone service on to the fiber, using a battery-backed interface. You continue to pay whatever you're paying now for landline service in addition to the prices above. They are lobbying my town for a TV license also, and are only offering the voice/data service at this time.
And whether they do this or not, if I take whatever they offer, is it > likely it will be truly network-neutral Internet connectivity? -- that > is, they just don't intercept or mess with my Internet packets for any > reason (except of course for whatever eavesdropping obscenities Bush, > Cheney and Gonzales try to foist on them and me).

I imagine they won't be very VOIP friendly, but I haven't read the TOS yet...

--Gene

Reply to
Gene S. Berkowitz
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.