Re: The Times Thinks Outside the Browser

The Times Thinks Outside the Browser; Finally, a readable online newspaper.

> By Jack Shafer
[ snip of praise for new NYT online edition ]

Times Reader shouldn't be confused with the Times Electronic Edition,

> that admirable failure that accurately bills itself as an "exact > digital replica" of the newsprint Times, or any of the other static > PDF-ish treatments newspapers and magazines have experimented with. > Times Reader exploits new software from Microsoft Windows Presentation > Foundation to do its work, and the less I say about WPF-a subset of > Windows Vista, Microsoft's oft-postponed new operating system-the > better. Suffice it to say that WPF and the Times-Microsoft > collaboration has liberated the newspaper from the design constraints > Web browsers place on designers. >
formatting link

I suppose one of those constraints is that the WWW has a set of vendor-neutral standards, so it works on all platforms instead of just the ones sold by Microsoft. Some people, including author Jack Shafer, fail to understand why that is an enormous advantage.

It is also true that most of the readability advantages he claims, are available in HTML too. Shafer's bad-mouthing of PDF also smacks of ignorance, but then, PDF also works on most platforms.

I am surprised that any company with a lick of sense would go into partnership with Microsoft. Most who have done that haven't survived, and those that did (IBM, Kodak, ...) have been badly wounded by the experience.

> Walt
Reply to
W Howard
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.