Re: The Balance Between National Security and Privacy?

I had replied to this thread days ago, but there's a disconnect between my NNTP server and this group. PAT, I don't care if you post my address. I have good spam filters. :-)

I am curious as to what people think of the issue of national security > vs. privacy in light of the recent revelations.

I am staunchly against any wiretapping without a judicial warrant. I'm also quite concerned about the NSA having a database of our calls.

In the railroad and roads newsgroups, there was a discussion on the > issue of the rights of photographers to take pictures of public works > vs. the need for security of those works against terrorists. Some > facilities (highway toll roads, transit agencies) do not allow > photography from public safe locations which traditionally was a > absolute right.

I'm an avid scanner listener. I used to go to the airport with my scanner and stand on top of my van's roof and photograph airlines coming and going. The airport police would even pause while a plane was in my field of view so as to not block my picture. This was 1999 and 2000. I haven't even tried since 9/11 and don't plan to. Just not worth the hassle.

I myself aren't sure. I don't agree with either extremes--the govt > must have some limitations on citizen spying and we must preserve our > long existing rights, but the govt does need the power and ability to > spy on potential terrorists to protect us.

The government seems to have a policy: people are no good. None of us can be trusted. I don't trust a government that doesn't trust me.

John Mayson Austin, Texas, USA

Reply to
John Mayson
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.