Re: [telecom] Restoring a 302-type telephone [Telecom]

>> Around 1950 I lived in a city (Konawa, Okla.) where telephone

>> had either three or four digits. Area codes were just being >> introduced and mostly for operators. Most of the public had never >> heard of "area code" nor knew what the term meant. >> >> That was near the twilight days of 302 telephones. > As the 500 set was only introduced in 1950, it took quite a bit of > time for it to replace existing 302 sets in service. (A family member > had one until they rennovated their house). I suspect the Bell System > continued installing 302 sets well into the 1950s. Some were placed > in a pseudo-500 body and called a 5302.

The conversion to the 5302 was intended to extend the life of the then-existing inventory for the many customers who objected to the (by then) "old fashioned" 302 sets.

In 1970 it was not unusual to find a 302 or 354 (wall) set in a home. > > In the 1950s, even into the 1960s, many smaller towns had five digit > numbers. They got a seven digit ANC number to be addressable by DDD, > but for local use continued with five digits (into the 1980s until ESS > came along). Those places obviously never had a named exchange. > > But larger towns and cities did have named exchanges, some seven > digits, a few six digits. Those names appeared on the number card. > In the older days the full name appeared, with the dialable letters in > capitals, often several points bigger than the rest of the name. In > later days for places that didn't go ANC, often only the two letters > appeared with the area code.

Dallas, and I believe Houston, had five-digit numbers. Displayed as one letter and four numerals. Where I worked in Dallas in the 1950s, the number was Riverside-4085, dialed as R-4085.

Wes Leatherock snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
Wes Leatherock
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.