Re: [Telecom] 911 foul up may have cost a life

That is why you have a STATE wide E-911 system. But then here in RI we

> don't really pay much attention to county's except for the judicial > system having branches in Providence, Newport and Washington counties.

My 911 is run by the county, not the state. Except for very small states, I can't see a 911 system being statewide because it would be too big and bulky with far too many public safety units. States may help counties/municipalities/districts with their 911 systems, but I'd be surprised if there are statewide systems. (If there are, please share details).

The E-911 here is a government entity, not an entity owned by Verizon. > That helps a lot

I don't understand what you mean. AFAIK, everything about 911 is owned and operated by the govt, not the local phoneco. The local phoneco may provide the incoming lines, ANI, and the number-address translation table, but that's it.

I will note that years ago Bell System operators acted as unofficial "911" front ends in that subscribers were instructed they could tell the 0-operator the details of an emergency if they couldn't stay on the line. The Bell System was once very proud of their operators who assisted in emergencies and publicized it. Now of course they do everything to discourage people from dialing 0 for any reason.

Reply to
hancock4
Loading thread data ...

There's no reason you couldn't have a hierarchical setup for E-911 services in a large state. Make all calls go to state, which then transfers automatically to county or city level based upon the Intrado database lookup.

Dialing 0 on Vonage gets you nothing at all.

Reply to
T

One of many reasons Vonage should not replace a wireline presense; rather it should be a supplement.

Reply to
Sam Spade

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.