Re: Spam Hits Us Hard Today - Message Losses

Pat, Check out

formatting link
Popfile is an e-mail proxy that filters spam based on how you train it. It takes some initial effort to get it over the hump, but it achieves over 99% accuracy over the long term.

I believe they also have an nntp proxy for filtering usenet, too.

You won't be sorry.

Tom Lynn

Ordinarily either Lisa Minter or myself get in here and flush the spam > queue a few times daily. Then we go through the 'regular' file of > 'good' incoming mail and sort through it, since about 80-90 percent of > the stuff in the 'good' mail file is also spam which managed to not > trip the Spam Assassin rules. Then we move the 'good' stuff into a > protected area where it is stored until the next issue comes out. But > from the last issue of the Digest on Wednesday through the present > time, neither of us came in to do the usual flush, consequently there > were several hundred spams in the so- called 'good' file today. And in > the middle of them, here and there, the legitimate emails. Unfortunatly, > the good stuff got flushed with the volumes of spam today by accident. > What you see in this issue is _all we have left_ of the good stuff. > If you wrote to the Digest anytime since Wednesday night; you got an > autoack and _do not_ see your email in this issue, then please > resubmit it. > There *has to be* a better way of sorting out the spam. I have the > trigger set now at 2 (according to Spam Assassin, 5 is average for > most users), but I just do not feel I can go any lower than 2; there > is too much stuff otherwise hitting the spam bucket; I use the very > old 'mail' from 1993 with Unix here; I wish there were someway to > see entire screens full of stuff and be able to dismiss it with a > single keystroke instead of the 3-4 keystrokes needed at present. > Anyway, if your message from (probably during the day) Thursday is > not shown here, then sorry, I don't have it. Resubmit it please. > Patrick Townson
Reply to
Tom Lynn
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.