Re: satellite phone [Telecom]

Bill Horne wrote:

> >>If the NSA "revealed" that they can track a satphone, it might >>really be true, in which case they're incredibly stupid, or they did >>it to convince the opposition that it should never use electronic >>devices and, therefore, must construct and maintain a cumbersome, >>error-prone, delay-ridden chain of human couriers, all of which >>would be traceable using photo-reconnaissance >I believe that other DoD agencies have revealed that the NSA can >track satphones. These other agencies behaved in a manner that I >would characterize as incredibly stupid. This has pissed the NSA >off. Oh well, maybe we'll do better in the next war.

Methinks you gentlemen are wringing your hands over nothing. This particular horse had left the barn long before most people had ever heard of al Qaeda on 9/11. As Dave Garland mentioned in an earlier posting, it was already well-publicized that the Russians had used this method to kill a Chechen leader years before. The target in question was actually the elected (and eventually separatist) Chechen president Djokhar Dudayev, killed in 1996. See

formatting link
for more details.

As someone who used to follow post-Soviet news and politics closely, I distinctly remember the triumphant news reports from the Russian government, basically bragging about having located Dudayev by tracking his satellite phone transmissions. Any half-competent terrorist would surely have become aware of this vulnerability following that episode. (Not that there aren't some stupid terrorists out there. IIRC, one of the Madrid train bombers was oh-so-careful to keep switching phones in order to avoid detection by authorities. But his method was to repeatedly move his SIM card from one handset to another, which meant that he really wasn't covering his tracks at all.)

Bob Goudreau Cary, NC

***** Moderator's Note *****

Please do not use "Quoted Printable" encoding on email if you have a choice. It's an almighty PITA to edit.

And, if you want me to obfuscate your email address, PLEASE put the request in BOTH the subject AND the first line of the message.

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

Please put [Telecom] at the end of your subject line, or I may never see your post! Thanks!

We have a new address for email submissions: telecomdigestmoderator atsign telecom-digest.org. This is only for those who submit posts via email: if you use a newsreader or a web interface to contribute to the digest, you don't need to change anything.

Reply to
Redacted
Loading thread data ...

The URL in that message should have been

formatting link

Reply to
Bill Horne

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.