Re: "Please Enter Your ID Number" So We May Ignore it

I telephoned a large business today. As usual, the answering machine

> asked me to enter my account number "for faster service". I did so. > After the usual parade through many menus I was connected to an actual > human being. The first thing she asked me for was my account number, > even though I had keyed it in "for faster service". > I find this happens all the time. > What is the point of requesting an account number if it isn't going to > be automatically forwarded to the person handling the call? > With today's fancy computer systems, the idea is that after getting my > account number, my account screen is immediately displayed to the > person handling my call, saving the time to ask for my account number > and her to key it it. But this never happens. (Some systems are > fancy enough to check the caller ID of your phone number and use that > to bring up your account, but these get fouled if you call from work > or a different phone.) > Anyone familiar with the programming of these 'automated' systems and > would care to comment? Thanks.

Cox and Verizon are both famous for that. Apparently it's used for tracking not so much to help the CSR.

Reply to
T
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.