Re: "Please Enter Your ID Number" So We May Ignore it

>> I recently called the local Blue Cross. I waded through the

>> voicemail, and then they asked for subscriber id. This is now done >> with voice recognition since the subscriber ID now has letters. (Why? >> We moved away from SS numbers, but why add letters? 10 billion ids >> aren't enough?) Then I connect and they ask my ID number again! Why >> waste my time and their money on the voice system? > Oh boy, does voice recognition drive me crazy and raise my blood > pressure! (Ironically from calling to Blue Cross! Do they know > they're making their subscribers sicker?) > Voice recognition never seems to work for me. I don't like it at > all. I complain to the human who eventually answers and they say "oh > yes, we have a lot of complaints on that". Well, get rid of it, damn > it! > I don't mind--as much--keying an ID into a Touch Tone phone, at least > that's hopefully clear to them what I'm doing. > Back in the 1960s the movies/TV had spoofs of future life, with > frustrated people trying to order a computer to do something. I think > "Get Smart" made fun of instructions that the computer or robot > (Hymie) took absolutely literally instead of figuratively. (e.g. "Run > this through the computer" meant he would physically run through the > computer gear.) Other sci-fi movies did so, sometimes with seriously > unpleasant results. Generally, they mocked the upcoming technical > revolution. > And they were right. Reciting your 16 digits is harder than tapping > them in, especially when the machine comes back "Sorry, I do not > understand" five times and you go crazy trying to get through it. > And the S.O.B. administrators won't let you enter zero to get a human, > they freakin' force you to go through their hell.

Cox technical support for HSI recently rolled out a voice response troubleshooter that is absolutely useless and only serves to frustrate.

One of the first things its says is "Hmmm, I can't see your modem. Try unplugging it, wait twenty seconds and then plug it back in. Say 'continue' when you're ready."

Since I've already tried that little tech support trick, I just start screaming "AGENT" about twenty times and that finally gets the system to connect me to a human.

Reply to
T
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.