Re: PECO and PSE&G Power Companies Merger

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: While Highland Park could be either

> New Jersey or Illinois (I guess, if you say so; I never heard of the > New Jersey version) in the instance of Bryn Mawr, there is no such > suburb in the Chicago area. There _is_ a Bryn Mawr Avenue in Chicago > (and continuing in a near northwest suburb) and there is a CTA > train stop known as 'Bryn Mawr' (logically, on the street by the same > name) and there is, oddly enough, a 'Bryn Mawr' station on the > Illinois Central suburban line on the southeast side of Chicago; but > no Bryn Mawr as a town or neighborhood around Chicago. There, did I > leave the water muddy enough? PAT]

Highland Park, NJ is across the Raritan River from New Brunswick. Not to be confused with Highland Park, Mich, where Henry Ford had his first big automobile plant

As to Bryn Mawr, sorry about the error. I knew of the stations on both the CTA and MetraRail, and presumed it referred to a neighborhood, not a street.

It is a Philadelphia suburb location, located in the "Main Line", the fanciest suburbs (think of the "Philadelphia Story" movie with Katherine Hepburn). There are two SEPTA lines that have a Bryn Mawr stop. I believe it is a Bell rate center (LAwrence 5 ???). It has a very elite girls college, Bryn Mawr College. However, Bryn Mawr is a municipality, but rather a part of Lower Merion Township. Until recently, the telephone CO building had a handsome stone Bell System logo above the door, now covered with a Verizon sign. Kind of clashes with the colonial brick design of the building.

As it happens, next to Bryn Mawr PA is Rosemont PA, also SEPTA stops on two lines and a CTA stop as well.

Along these lines, PECO has a power plant on Barbadoes Island. This isn't the vacation resort in the Carribean, but rather a small island in the river outside Norristown near Phila. SEPTA and some businesses ran a promotion with the prize being a trip down there, their ads showed a happy couple alighting onto a lovely beach from a SEPTA bus and train. It was smugly observed that perhaps the vacation destination was actually the aforementioned power plant island (which isn't too far from bus and train service); SEPTA didn't appreciate the humor.

Of course, given the sorry state of airline service these days, maybe SEPTA should be providing air service. Indeed, long ago its trolley predecessor, Philadelphia Rapid Transit, did try its hand in the early airline business in 1926. Then again, the mental picture of some of our favorite subway cashiers and bus drivers operating an airliner is disturbing.

Reply to
hancock4
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.