Re: Old Chicago Numbering

>> Very seldom did Ma Bell use SxS for large metropolitan installations.

>> They seemed to prefer remaining with manual service until they could >> install 'machine switching' using Panel or later 1Xb. > "Very seldom"? How about Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Tulsa, > Oklahoma City and, of course, much of the Los Angeles area. > Undoubtedly true of many other places as well.. > All those had been completely converted to dial by the early 1930s, > perhaps in the 1920s. The first dial office in Oklahoma City was cut > over in early 1921 (using Automatic Electric SxS equipment; Bell Labs > and W.E. had not yet recognized there was a need for such equipment. > The remainder of the city was converted to dial in 1927 or 1928...by > this time with W.E. SxS equipmenmt. I think the remainder of the > cities mentioned in Texas and Oklahoma had a similar history. > The first XBs in Southwestern Bell territory outside of Kansas City > and St. Louis were 5XBs in smaller towns converting to dial. The > first 5XB in Oklahoma City was the SKyline office, now 751, which > happens to still serve where I live (now ESS of course). > One of the first installations of 5XB in the Los Angeles area was by > the Sunland-Tujunga Telephone Company.

I don't remember anything other then SXS equipment in Sunland-Tujunga. That was one of the first offices I worked in with GTE in 1967. I don't think they would have removed it, I do remember its SATT was 53 type. It had SXS and a lot of carrier in it.

1XB, of course, was intended to be use in metropolitan areas that were > panel. As originally configured it used on panel-type revertive > pulsing -- even when one 1XB office was communication with another 1XB > office. It had no provision for communicating with step equipment, > which is why the 1XB installations in Southwestern Bell territory were > limited to St. Louis and Kansas City. >> The strangest Ma Bell payphone numbering I ever remember was in Cape >> Cod where some payphones had 5xxx numbers. > Operators' keyshelf bulletins listed the number series used for pay > phones, either an entire thousand series or a partial thouands series. > Rate & Route had similar information for all places in the U.S.A. If > it was a partial series, on a collect call the operator had to go to > inward at the destination city and ask inward whether the particular > number was coin. > The 9xxx series was the most common, with 89xx probably following, but > many places could be found with any number series. In some SxS and > 5XB offices the 9xxx series did not exist; that is, there was no > equipment installed for the 9xxx series. > Wes Leatherock > snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

The only good spammer is a dead one!! Have you hunted one down today? (c) 2005 I Kill Spammers, Inc. A Rot in Hell Co.

Reply to
Steven Lichter
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.