Re: Need some guidance on telecom easements [Telecom]

I don't agree with him because he's my brother but rather because he's

> right. I would turn down the permanent easement proposal right out of > the gate. What their going to want is a no notice 24/365 access > easement. It won't matter to them what your organization has going on > they will park a crane right in the middle of your organizations > biggest most important event of the year.  

So true.

I was on the board of a non profit retreat center in California.  We had > a power and telephone easement through the property.

In our case, the water company had an existing easement through our property. They were building a new supply line. They came to us as a courtesy to see if we had any concerns (within reason) over the project. We asked that they lay the pipe on the edge of the property on a lawn and not dig up the street (which was good for them). Also they were to replace trees torn out which they agreed to.

Except the stupid board didn't get it in writing. They did the project, but didn't restore the area dug out, saying it was not their responsibility and the person who negotiated the deal was no longer with them. Since we had no written record we were screwed.

I also want to point out that when the local cable TV company put in their lines, they worked with us to put their junction boxes (some of which were big and very ugly) in discrete locations (within reason), not right out on the curb. After the local company was acquired by a national one, such cooperation and responsiveness disappeared.

***** Moderator's Note *****

Cable installers in my area were instructed to walk up to the side of any home, open the telephonce company demarcation point, and plug in their own phone to make calls for their next appointment. It was a

50/50 chance they'd reconnect the line.

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

Please put [Telecom] at the end of your subject line, or I may never see your post! Thanks!

We have a new address for email submissions: telecomdigestmoderator atsign telecom-digest.org. This is only for those who submit posts via email: if you use a newsreader or a web interface to contribute to the digest, you don't need to change anything.

Reply to
hancock4
Loading thread data ...

One of my neighbors switched her landline phone from Verizon to cable. The installer was in her apt for hours and had trouble connecting basic jacks. Then my neighbor discovered that while she had dial tone, she had no ring and no one could call her. Took three days to get that cleared up.

She didn't want their voice mail. But their voice mail picks up calls after only a few rings and she's missing calls. She can't get to voice mail messages having no access code. Still waiting for that to be cleaned up.

I know some people think Verizon is bad and were happy to switch to cable, but it's not all roses and wine on the other side either.

Reply to
hancock4

I got a cabbie arrested here in Washington, DC for theft and possession of burglary tools when I found him and two other cabbies washing his cab by using the water from the garden spigot of a church building. It didn't help his case any that he had nearly every wall hydrant key known to the plumbing industry in his cab's trunk. How did I happen upon him in the act? I was coming to the building at the request of the caretakers to help them find the cause of a near doubling of the water bill. Seems a group of cabbies were in the habit of gathering were ever there is water available to wash their cabs and chat in the dead hours of the night. My churches office building being that months spot. Prosecutor says he does the five years or he gives up the other drivers involved in the theft. The taxi's owner showed up and tried to reclaim the cab but I successfully got it impounded as restitution surety just to retaliate for the owners "what's the big deal" attitude. You could steel from me personally and not make me as mad as steeling from a church. Since the cab license is not transferable to another vehicle he went and got the cash to pay the water bill and paid the entire bill to get the cab released. Then the District wanted to hold on to it as evidence but a judge decided that was over the top.

Some years ago I found a telephone line tapped off of the NID of a house I was taking care of for the family of an injured firefighter. I didn't call the cops right away. I just clipped a TA312PT field telephone across the line, disconnected it from the telephone companies line and cranked like a mad man. Sure enough I fried his modem. I was sitting in the van watching when he came running over to see what was wrong. I flash photographed him in the act of disconnecting his wire. Then I called the cops. They busted him a week later on some sort of cyber crime beef that had nothing to do with the theft of service. He must have plead out because I didn't have to testify.

Reply to
Tom Horne

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.