Re: MPAA CacheLogic Announcement

On the rec.arts.tv newsgroup there is an ongoing spirited debate about

> the rights of copyright holders vs. those who feel they have a "right" > to download copyrighted works for free from the Internet. > I do believe the property rights granted by a copyright--which is > explicitly provided for in the US Constitution--are very important. I > do not think it is right for people to download such works for free. > That is stealing. I am no fan of "greedy corporations", but they do > have very legitimate ownership rights. > On the other hand, the US Constitution provides that copyrights are to > last only a "limited" time. Recent changes in the law have extended > this limit. (I don't know exactly the terms). In one sense, I can > understand this because of the enormous cost and risk to create modern > motion pictures. > However, I am concerned about industry controls as mentioned above > because they may intefere with my legal rights as a consumer. I have > a DVD/VCR machine, but it won't let me make a VHS copy from a DVD. > The law says I can make a backup copy yet I am denied the means to do > so. Considering I take CDs in my car, there's a chance they'll get > damaged or lost and I should be able to protect myself with a copy. > I don't want future electronic equipment to be so "tight" that it > adversely impacts my freedom to use it as I please. > I also am a big believer in "fair use" and am afraid the industry may > tighten up on that. > [public replies, please] > [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I strongly believe in acknowledging the > copyright holders and their work. I also strongly believe in making > liberal 'fair use' of material as I wish. But I am also old enough to > remember -- and unwilling to forget, as Hollywood and the music > industry wishes I would do -- when the _intent_ of the internet was a > 'share and share alike medium'. People developed whatever, their art, > their writing, their thoughts, and put them on the net for anyone who > could benefit from what they had done. It _still_ is that way over > much or most of the net. Click on a link, or go FTP to some site, see > what you need and take it. I've a quarter century of files on line > here for people to use; just help yourself, and I will do the same > with yours. But I do not forget where yours came from, and I hope > you do not forget where mine came from. > But then, in the middle 1990's, along come the latest interlopers into > our village, the music and video producers. _They_ seem to feel the > rules should be different for them. _They_ feel we all have to play by > their rules. We were here a long time prior, and had our own informal > rules to play by; _they_ say forget all those rules, our rules will > now apply. And _they_ have the money and the mouthpieces (who by and > large gobble up all the money) to get their way. _They_ love the idea > of scattering their stuff all over the sidewalk and public way, to > make it easy for the users they favor to get the stuff they want; but > the rest of us had better not get into their stuff without their > permission. Our stuff is all out there also, to make it easy for other > users to find what they need, but that's not what the movie and music > people have in mind. We were here long before them; _they_ should play > by our rules or find somewhere else to play. But like bullies > everywhere, they do not intend to be moved. PAT]

My Sony DVD/VHS records both ways from one or the other just fine, not that I have a real interest in do that.

The only good spammer is a dead one!! Have you hunted one down today? (c) 2006 I Kill Spammers, Inc. A Rot in Hell Co.

Reply to
Steven Lichter
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.