Re: Long-Term AT&T Investors

I think any analysis of AT&T has to have a big break in 1983 with

> divesture. So much of the company was changed as was its whole focus > that pre and post 1983 are totally separate issues. > Also, the divesture of Lucent and Ayaya (sp?) are a factor as well. > Stockholders did not necessarily hold on to those companies. Many > stockholders ended up with a fractional odd lot that is a nuisance to > keep and they sold it back to the company when they had the chance. > IMHO, in analyzing the long term investment value of a stock, the > spinoffs do _not_ count. They're separate companies. > To me, the question would be: After divesture one held $1,000 of AT&T > stock. Deduct from that all spinoffs net value (after-sale proceeds) > at the time of the spinoff. Determine the value of the stock when AT&T > was bought out. That is the answer. > Although the question is of historical interest only at this point > because the company no longer exists, even if the name is continuing. > Before the 1960s owning stock was primarily for the wealthy. Then, > stockbrokers decided to market small lots of blue chip companies to > small investors and everyday people got into the stock market. AT&T > was the bluest of the blue chips and was a popular stock. > Changes in the financial market have reverted a bit toward the past > where more wealthy people own individual stocks. The market has gotten > too complicated to follow by individuals, with too many machinations > going on. Individuals are more into mutual funds today. As best I can > tell, the cost of buying/selling stock has jumped much faster than > inflation. In the 1960s many people held but a single share of AT&T (I > was one of them, having received it as a gift). In later years that > was discouraged with buy backs (as I accepted, it was foolish cashing a > dividend check for 45c every quarter that I had to get my father to > co-sign). > I don't know if there are any "blue chip" companies today. The > business world seems so violatie, where today a company could be > considered rock-solid and tomorrow it's near bankruptcy. In the old > days the biggest companies had much more steadiness in the price of > their stock. Smaller companies and those in riskier ventures had more > violatility. (But there were once solid companies, like the railroads, > that fell onto hard times and investors lost out).

Oh there are still blue chip companies. IBM is still one of them though they aren't so much a manufacturer as a service provider now. It's a company that evolved.

I'd also count companies like Microsoft as blue chip too.

And Google is pushing its way toward being a blue chip someday soon.

Reply to
T
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.