Re: Last Laugh! Telecom New Zealand Tells Woman Her Name is Gay

What this *really* is, is inept linguistics. Some people don't seem

> to have the ability to look at their native language and ask > themselves whether a word has more than one use. When people with > tiny vocabularies start implementing "bad language filters," a lot of > good language gets filtered out.

Very true.

Years ago, before computers were used to review resumes, they had clerks do it. The clerks, not knowing anything about technical positions, would simply scan the resume for certain buzzwords. You had to have the buzzword exactly right to be called in for an interview, a slight variation caused a rejection. I applied for a job I was well qualified for but rejected. I called the company and discussed it and learned that's what they did. I got an interview.

The flip side of this was that I was invited in for interviews for jobs I was not at all qualified, again because I included a desired buzzword. I said "limited experience in XYZ" and the clerk flagged the XYZ, ignoring the fact they were actually seeking an expert level, not junior level. That was an annoying waste of time. I leanred to ask some questions first before making an appointment for an interview, although some personnel people were very offended by that*.

A famous (infamous?) example of automatic filtering screwup was a small mostly female college known as Beaver College. When computers became widely used, they found their applications way down because filters rejected the name. Also, apparently more kids knew of the shady meaning. The school finally changed its long standing name and applications shot up.

*I found some personnel people welcomed a few reasonable questions, they considered that a plus. But others took an attitude that they were doing a favor to you by having you there and you better be quiet and do what you're told, and they resented any questions. Ironically, they seemed to be the worst payers. I learned early on that jobs varied greatly by work hours and benefits; some companies might say "9 to 5" but really mean 8 to 6 and no lunch.
Reply to
hancock4
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.