Re: How Long Can a Telephone Extension Cord Be?

Recently, at a Radio Shack store at the telephone accessories section,

> I noticed that telephone extension cords were available in lengths up > to 25 feet (but I didn't notice any that were longer). Is that > because 25 feet is the longest you can go before there's a significant > loss of signal strength? > And what about people who access the internet via 56K dial-up? For > them, how long can the extension cord be and still have "clean" > transmission for error-free downloads?

I'm not sure what the official specs are, and I'm much too lazy to look 'em up, but my girlfriend has 2x50' cables connected back to back and I can get a stable 50Kb connection.

In message TELECOM Digest Editor noted in response to wylbur37 :

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I do not know what the rule is -- if > any -- regarding the length of cords, but I do not think it has to > do with any signal degradation; after all, you might be _miles_ from > the central office building, or in the case of a DSL connection, up > to several thousand feet. PAT]

True -- However, that cable will typically be better quality copper then your average Radio Shack crap. That being said, 50'-100' isn't usually a problem.

Reply to
DevilsPGD
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.