Re: Getting Serious About the War on Spam

>> From here, Jeremy Jaynes, a Raleigh businessman who rose to No. 8 on

>> a list of "spam kingpins," broke the nation's toughest spam law by >> churning out more than 100,000 unsolicited e-mails a month. In fact, >> he was moving closer to 10 million a day. > Ok, this guy contracted for high speed internet connectivity from someone > or another.

I believe it was uunet.

Why did anyone else accept any packets from this organization?

Because uunet is very large. They provide service to a lot of spammers. They do not disconnect spammers. But they are large enough that we cannot just refuse all service from them.

Note that Jaynes also used a lot of offshore servers in China and Korea as well.

Let the spammer continue to pay the local company. And let the two of > them send all the garbage they want to each other. There's no > requirement (barring a few unique circumstances) for anyone else to > answer the doorbell when they ring.

The problem is that very large backbone sites are providing service to spammers, or peering with other large backbone providers who do. When uunet and sprintlink take spam problems seriously, spam will be reduced dramatically. As long as uunet and sprintlink ignore complaints about their spamming users, as long as they continue to peer with Kornet and Hananet spam factories, then we will have spam. As long as verio and he.net hang up on people asking for the abuse desk on the phone, we will have spam.

--scott

"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Sure you can cut off UUNET the same way you can cut of MCI. Just do it ... call their bluff ... let _them_ deal with their legitimate customers who are no longer able to get through. Yes, they both have lots of legitimate customers, but in any kind of serious medical procedure, for example, we don't think about how long the patient will be in the operating room or how long they will be in intensive care recovering. We concern ourselves with what their life will be like when they are fully recovered and back to normal. And our net has some very serious, I suspect deadly cancerous growths that have been going of for years. So what if cutting off UUNET and MCI leaves a shambles of email and the net _for a few days_. Things are pretty much a shambles now anyway, aren't they? Oh, I know that MCI (and probably Vint Cerf) will scream and carry on about it, as will UUNET and others similarly situated. But it is time _we_ took the net back over, and my belief is it would not take too many days of simply refusing to handle _any_ of their traffic until things began to change for the better. Just cut them, and be done with it, and hope they are back with us sometime soon under more reasonable terms. PAT]
Reply to
Scott Dorsey
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.