Re: Foreign Listings for Residences

>> Everyone should have the right to have their number properly listed

>>> if they so choose to do so. >> I'm sorry, but I don't have sympathy for your position. In another >> post in this digest issue, we learn that the phone company is losing >> money. Accordingly, I don't see any "rights" for non customers. > The fact that you are paying them for the listing *makes* them a > customer so I see no merit to your argument. > Whether or not the phone company is losing money doesn't even enter > into the argument. >> Tell your carrier to publish a phone book. Or tell your carrier to >> provide Directory Assistance operators 24/7 with good salaries and >> benefits. Obviously it would be too costly for your carrier to do >> so, which is how your carrier is giving you a break on price. > So, you really think that every phone company should distribute a > phone book to every home in every locality they serve? Can you > imagine how many phone books would be stacked up in your house? Even > if they do it, it wouldn't be practical. > And the different major telephone companies share their directory > assistance databases with each other. > And you are wrong about it being too costly. It's not practical > since the local companies make it so difficult to get other listings in > it. >>> The poor customer should not be at the mercy of the telephone >>> company to get their foreign listing made. >> Sorry, but you are not a customer of "the telephone company" anymore. >> You chose to leave to get a better deal elsewhere. > As I have already pointed out, the fact that you are paying them > for the listing *makes* you a customer. The way I've always > understood it, if you take money from someone or some entity for > providing goods or service you become a customer. >>> It is a monopoly and the telephone company should not be able to >>> pick and choose who can or cannot be listed. >> It is absolutely not a monopoly as shown by other posts. It is a >> competitive business and should be able to do as it pleases. Why >> should it help competition take business from it? Does Macy's tell >> Gimbel's? If you go into a store, do they tell you if their >> competition has the same goods at a cheaper price? > AT&T used to do what it pleased all the time. Do you remember the > result of that? > You can say it isn't a monopoly if you want to, that doesn't make > it so. But from the standpoint of when AT&T owned the Bell companies > they *were* a monopoly. Only the phone book is not? And if they'd > market it right (and not lose so much by losing time and effort from > not knowing how to handle services that they do indeed provide), > probably could do it cheaper themselves. >> This reminds me of when people had trouble with MCI or Sprint in their >> early days that they simply were told to use AT&T. In other words, >> AT&T had to be the one with sufficient capacity for high volume and >> staff (operators, customer service). MCI and Sprint had none of that, >> which enabled their rates to be lower. > I don't think that this even compares. There's a big difference > between providing a telephone network and providing a book. >> Likewise now. Why should regular telephone customers subsidize your >> special needs? > No one is asking them to. Your are paying them for the listing. > That makes you a customer and you *are* paying them. I wish I could > make two dollars per month per thousands of customers for simply > adding a listing in a database so I could charge other telephone > subscribers for giving out that number to them. >>> I will write a letter to the Georgia Public Service Commission >>> requesting assistance in getting this matter cleared up if they do >>> not have a resolution for me in the next few days. >> As I understand it, directory publishing is not a regulated service. > Really? Then how come I always get a resolution when I take this > issue up with them? Let me tell you that it works. > Regards, > Fred

You chose to use an internet provider, not a phone company. AFAIK VoIP isn't a regulated "telephone service". If it is imperative that you are in the phone book, then why don't you just get a real phone line? I do not feel sorry for anyone that has problems with VoIP. It's cheap for a reason.

NewsGuy.Com - $19.95 Unlimited Bandwidth

Reply to
UHF
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.