Re: E-Mail Reply to All: 'Leave Me Alone'

By Mike Musgrove

> Washington Post Staff Writer > Friday, May 25, 2007; A01 > Last month, venture capitalist Fred Wilson drew a lot of attention on > the Internet when he declared a 21st century kind of bankruptcy. In a > posting on his blog about technology, Wilson announced he was giving > up on responding to all the e-mail piled up in his inbox. > "I am so far behind on e-mail that I am declaring bankruptcy," he > wrote. "If you've sent me an e-mail (and you aren't my wife, partner, > or colleague), you might want to send it again. I am starting over." > College professors have done the same thing, and a Silicon Valley > ---stuff snipped---- > Those declaring bankruptcy are swearing off e-mail entirely or, more > commonly, deleting all old messages and starting fresh.

Lawrence Lessig did this a year or so ago, including trashing every unanswered message in his In box -- but only after sending each of those correspondents a codeword that allowed them *one* "free" single-screen email response back to him, that would get through his filters and that he guaranteed he would read.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: That 'codeword' he sent them is about the same thing as my 'secret word' technique. Yes, I know there are going to be users who do not know about it, and yes, I know some legit mail get past me and hit the trashcan by accident, and yes, I know it is a terrible thing to do; (it has happened to me elsewhere when sending email) but NO, I do not intend to feel guilty about it any longer. I still suggest that in light of the huge amount of spam/scam on the net these days, it is the only practical way of handling it all. Are there any other _workable, practical_ solutions I have overlooked? Someone please tell me. PAT]
Reply to
AES
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.