Re: Cingular Analog/TDMA Surcharge

In 1995 when "they" were "Cingular One" ?? Don't you really mean > "Cellular One" !!

Of course. I never said I could type. It was SBC. At the time, they were the only cell carrier available because the B franchise was held up by the claim of a local Indian tribe who said they had the rights to it. The FCC finally decided the Indians were bogus, and they had a lottery among the area ILECs which my own tiny telco won. They sold the license to Frontier and after the usual array of mergers and spinoffs, it's now part of VZW.

Generally the way it works is if the home carrier (in this case > T-Mobile) offers service in a locality you can only use them. If they > do not offer service in a locality often times a roaming partner may > offer service *if* the home carrier has a roaming agreement with the > other carrier.

Yeah, it depends on what they mean by locality. T-Mobile has a tower in Ithaca, but that's the only one around here. Cingular has great coverage, and Cingular and T-Mobile have extensive roaming agreements. The question is whether they roam here.

All carriers including T-Mobile usually have a trial period of 14 days

I bought a T-Mobile prepaid SIM on ebay for $9.85. That should be plenty to find out whether it works.

R's,

John

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: This goes back many years, but does anyone remember when, in the Chicago metro area, Illinois Bell (or Ameritech) was the so-called "B" carrier with 'Ameritech Wireless' and Celluar One was the "A" carrier? But then travel down the highway toward St. Louis and it flip-flopped; Ameritech became the "A" carrier and SBC (doing business as 'Southwestern Bell Mobility') was the "B" carrier? I think 'B' was always the established land- line phone company and 'A' was the maruders, or invaders into the established telco territory. It was that way all over the USA, with an A/B system; where established telco was 'B' and whoever got the franchise otherwise was the 'A' side. PAT]
Reply to
John Levine
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.