Re: Chicago, Chicago ...

[Pat, as usual, please obscure my email address]
When I travel I take along a laptop to keep up with the email. My > ISP has local access numbers in lots of places, so most of the time > I can connect with a local call. Not so around Chicago, where it > seems that to call from one suburb to another, or maybe from one > prefix to another, you get dinged for a small fixed charge. A motel > that gives free local calls can't cope with the fixed charge, so I > have to use the ISPs 800 number, for which there is a substantial > per-minute charge.

Check out bamnet.net -- my ISP [small regional] doesn't have local numbers anywhere and their charge for a direct dialup internet connection is less than almost any ISP 800# charge.

Or -- stay at a Hampton Inn or other place with free high speed internet connection ...

Julian Thomas: jt at jt-mj period net

formatting link
In the beautiful Finger Lakes Wine Country of New York State! -- -- Hex dump: Where witches put used curses...

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Better quality motels are all getting into high speed internet connections for their guests, anyway. Here in Independence, the Microtel Inn and the Super 8 both support broadband internet. PAT]
Reply to
Julian Thomas
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.