Re: Charter Presses FCC on Pole Attachment Issues

I'm of two minds on this issue, and I wonder if someone can explain if there is a basis for Charter's claims in common law.

Some things are meant to be shared: your car is entitled to just as much space in the lane as mine. I pay a road tax with every gallon of gas that I buy, as you do, and in theory our shared payments are used to keep the roads in good repair, with motorists who drive farther paying more for fuel and therefore contributing more in taxes toward road wear and tear.

In like manner, rights of way and access to them are assigned to private companies in order to achieve public benefits: it's difficult to imagine a telephone pole without any electric wires at the top, and those poles use rights-of-way next to public streets because they prevent children from being electrocuted.

But, every profit-making enterprise is always trying to increase its profits, an so it goes in this case. Charter's claims amount to a demand that their stockholders enjoy the investments that phone and electric company shareholders made in poles, siting, construction, maintenane, local license fees, accident repairs, and all the other expenses that go with having infrastructure in the first place.

Charter doesn't want to contribute to those costs, even though the body politic had to forego the taxes or other income that could have been collected when they were erected so many years ago. I think that it's time for the taxpayers to get their share.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Horne
Loading thread data ...

But that's not what the article says. WRE is refusing to handle pole attachment applications, claiming that it's too hard or they're overwhelmed, which is absurd. If they can put up the poles, they can bleeping well handle attachments to them.

There also seeems to be an argument about the price, a fairly technical one about depreciation rates, but Charter is not asking for free access.

R's, John

Reply to
John Levine

On 1 Dec 2021 21:40:24 -0500 John Levine snipped-for-privacy@iecc.com wrote

There's more to my concern then just one or two poles in Winslow Arizona.

The FCC has just published its Repor & Order on the subject, and (IMHO) they make clear that the ordinary folks who paid for the poles by giving up their rights of way are going to get shafted.

formatting link

Reply to

That order was released in August, 2018, so it was only "just" published for very large values of "just". It has almost nothing to do with rights of way. It allows one-touch make ready, to speed up the make-ready process for new attachers where it would not pose risks to existing attachers, and sets new deadlines for attachment processes. It also allows attachers to overlash to their own attachments without prior approval of the pole owner. The idea is to speed up fiber builds, which are often held up by the slow attachment process.

***** Moderator's Note *****

efficiency, three years *IS* "just published!"

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Fred Goldstein

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.