Re: Can You Disable Text Messaging?

> It is, but can be inhibited if need be. I have to say, SMS seems to

>> be GSM's achilles' heel. A lot of signalling functions on GSM appear >> to be handled by thinly vieled SMS messages, stuff that would be >> handled on a more formal level in CDMA through the paging channel. > Are there on-line specs for GSM and/or CDMA ?

I'm sure there are. Google is your friend. :)

> I'm willing to bet that T-Mobile is unwilling to fully disable SMS >> on an account because in many markets, they still use it for voicemail >> and other notifications. > Do they send the voicemail 'digitally compressed' [eg. simulated] ? > What is the average bits/sec which they need ?

You misunderstand. I was referring to voicemail *notification*. As in, the voicemail icon on your phone? In CDMA, a flag is set on your handset via the paging channel. On T-Mobile and older generation GSM networks, the flag is not sent (though that is starting to change on T-Mobile, slowly). Instead, you get an explicit SMS message that reads something like "you have 1 unread voice mail message."

E-mail fudged to thwart spammers. Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.

Reply to
Isaiah Beard
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.