Re: Can I ring my own landline phone? [Telecom]

Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 07:27:46 -0700 (PDT)

>From: snipped-for-privacy@bbs.cpcn.com >To: snipped-for-privacy@invalid.telecom.csail.mit.edu >Subject: Re: Can I ring my own landline phone? [Telecom] > >. . . >Since the phone co expects us to do our own internal repairs, I think >they should publicize all of their test lines, not keep them a guarded >secret. > >***** Moderator's Note ***** > >You bring up an interesting question: _why_ would Ma Bell want to keep >such numbers secret? > >Bill Horne >Temporary Moderator

I recall that these numbers were changed and made confidential in the late 1960s during the Vietnam anti-war protest era. At that time, there was a lot of concern about security of domestic infrastructure.

For example, manhole covers were changed to castings reading "sewer" rather than "telephone" in some areas.

ANI response systems were thought to pose a risk because they could be used to identify specific telephone lines in unsecured terminal boxes and wiring closets. This could be useful to someone wanting to tap into a particular phone line.

Or, at least, so I was told by a New England Telephone repair person.

Reply to
Will Roberts
Loading thread data ...

Ma had all kinds of possible doom if anyone found out their SekRet ANI readback number. People would open X-connects and tap YOUR phone, Western Civilization would fall, etc.

Then She started selling Caller-ID, and she could make a profit.

Woosh, suddenly it's a GREAT IDEA, and no one should be able to block CNID, because clearly only bankrobbers and jaywalkers would want to.

Reply to
David Lesher

And more to the point, because advertising calls generate revenue for the phone company, while avoiding or blocking such calls, no matter how, does not. (Yes, they charge for CNID and blocking, but at a flat rate.)

I want to see a customer owned phone company that won't serve spammers.

Reply to
John David Galt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.