Re: Arbitration Left ID Theft Victim With $27,000 Bill

formatting link

> By Caroline E. Mayer > Washington Post Staff Writer > Thursday, February 24, 2005; Page E01 > When she found out about the charges, Plowman began trying to get them > dismissed through the collection agency, not realizing that she also > needed to show up at the arbitration hearing. She lost the arbitration > and had to hire a lawyer to persuade the collection agency pursuing > her for the debt to drop its claim. > [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: What I do not understand, is who put > in the fix with the 'arbitrator'? Was it the credit card company or > the collection agency or ...? How could the credit card company ever > have reached a decision that the person was responsible for the fraud? > PAT]

Her problem is that she didn't show up to contest the charges so the credit card company got a "default judgement." These can be vacated in court because you can appeal. But generally you can't appeal an arbitration award.

snipped-for-privacy@bbs.cpcn.com (Lisa Hancock) then noted:

Marcus Didius Falco wrote: >> Washington Post Staff Writer >> Beth Plowman, a Damascus international public health adviser, was >> shocked when she discovered that a $27,240 arbitration judgment had >> been levied against her for credit card charges incurred by an >> identity thief who bought sporting goods all across Europe. >> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: What I do not understand, is who put >> in the fix with the 'arbitrator'? Was it the credit card company or >> the collection agency or ...? How could the credit card company ever >> have reached a decision that the person was responsible for the fraud? >> PAT] > Yes, I thought your liability from a 'stolen' card (which this > is) was $50.00?

Only if you notify them within 24 or 48 hours. She didn't notify them for weeks, until the bill came in.

Reply to
Marcus Didius Falco
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.