Re: Anti-Spam Tool Going Out of Business

The Open Relay Database, a tool e-mail service providers used for

> years to help curb the spread of spam, is ceasing operations

... And good riddance too.

ORDB and various blackhole databases have been the bane of my email existence since they were invented. Much as I hate spam (and I do) I hate having strangers filter my email even more.

Many times I have had emails I sent bounced, just because someone else at my ISP had an open relay or was infected with something, or perhaps was actually evil. But why is that _my_ problem? Yet these lists make it my problem; I get my emails bounced back, through no fault of my own. I don't choose my IP address, nor do I choose my IP neighbors.

And it breaks in the other direction, too -- emails sent to me may simply never arrive, just because some sanctimonious so-and-so decided to "fix" spam. Bleah. A pox on them all.

Before various ISPs decided to help me with my spam problem, I used to get around 300 to 400 emails daily, about 50 of them legit. Today, thanks to the efforts of misguided do-gooders worldwide I get about 50 emails daily, with maybe 6 or 10 of them spam. At first blush this seems to be an improvement, but in fact I'm losing a handful of emails _every_ _day_ which did not happen when I was getting all the spam.

Spam? Sucks, no question about it. But let ME decide what is spam for myself; the rest of you keep your paws out of my mailbox.

Gordon S. Hlavenka

formatting link
What if there were no hypothetical situations?

Reply to
Gordon S. Hlavenka
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.