Re: An Exciting Weekend With a Sneak Thief

DevilsPGD wrote:

>> >>> The problem with checks is that all I need is your routing and account >>> number, and guess what? Those are printed on every one of your checks >>> in plain human readable numerals. I can print up new checks on my >>> computer with any ID on them I want, and your account number. I can >>> start passing them around town same as your sneak thief. And guess >>> what? I can easily get a fake ID to match the ID of the person I put >>> on the check. Checks are terribly insecure. >> You also need a signature, at least if you want the money to come from >> my account. >> Now you obviously don't care if a merchant gets screwed since you've >> long since run off with the goods, but for the consumer, it's not as >> bad as the above makes it sound. > Most banks don't even look at the signature, that is unless the check > it presented in person at the issuers bank.

Correct. But a quick phone call to your bank (or potentially some signed paperwork) will get the cheque reversed.

I've written cheques with no date, with a date over a year earlier (and not around Jan/Feb), without a signature, with mis-matched written and numeric dollar amounts, and that had the word VOID in the signature line, all cleared without difficulty.

However, should I have disputed any of the above, a simple email or phone call, I'd get the money back immediately.

Reply to
DevilsPGD
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.