Re: An Exciting Weekend With a Sneak Thief

A few months back some dirtbag got ahold of my debit card number. No idea how. They debit $500 to a poker website. I caught it within 24 hours and had the bank to a hot card. I was told that FDIC rules require the bank to CLOSE an account in which any of the imformation is known to have been compromised. I'm curious why they didn't close your account, especially since physical checks were stolen.

Of course, if they did, and you opened a new account the info would be compromised as soon as you write a new check.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: The sneak thief got two of my _original_ boxes of checks, numbered 101 through 125 and 126 through 150. They had never been opened, since it is very rare that I ever write a manual check. The guy did not get my debit card or any access to my bank account otherwise. The bank manager simply noted my account 'no manual checks ever written on this account' and said she would watch my account for a few days in case Walmart (or some other store of that ilk) had gotten a check. No word on that yet, so maybe they did not take a check, since the thief would have not had any of my identification anyway, which Walmart (hopefully) would have insisted on but local merchants probably would not have required since so many of them know me and the missing checks _were_ imprinted with my address and phone number (but not my SSN). PAT]
Reply to
J Kelly
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.