Re: 25 Hz Power

Boston Edison used to provide 600 volt DC service for the operation of

> elevators and cranes. I don't know if they still do.

I know Milwaukee, WI had DC available at some point in the distant past. I used to have a water cooler with a DC motor from downtown somewhere.

Upper Michigan had 25Hz (cycles/second at the time) at a number of copper mining operations, if memory serves.

Tom Horne > "This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous > for general use." Thomas Alva Edison

Herb Stein snipped-for-privacy@herbstein.com

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: A water cooler with a DC motor is interesting; but did you ever see a _refrigerator_ powered by -gas- rather than -electricity-? I had one of those in a long since for- gotten apartment in Chicago back in the 1960's. No motor of course, no compressor, etc, but it was a refrigerator, freezer, etc, and I think (cannot remember for sure) it was manufactured by 'Frigidaire Company'. Totally silent of course. I have no idea how it worked; if I ever knew, I have since forgotten. PAT]
Reply to
Herb Stein
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.