Possible Ramifications for TCPA After FCC Reclassification of Text Messages [telecom]

By Seth Williams, CommLawBlog, January 11, 2019

On December 12, the Federal Communications Commission's ("FCC" or "Commission") three Republican Commissioners were in a self-congratulatory mood for standing with consumers against unwanted robotexts by classifying text messaging as a Title I service, but did the Commission's classification decision really mark a major TCPA victory for consumers? Probably not. As Sekoia Rogers detailed on CommLawBlog, the FCC's decision clarifies the regulatory classification of SMS and MMS messages under Title I of the Communications Act. Yet, instead of focusing on the legal or policy rationales for its classification decision the FCC chose to focus on the TCPA benefits of treating text messages as a Title I information service. So what does the Commission's decision accomplish from a TCPA standpoint?

formatting link

-or-

formatting link

Neal McLain Brazoria, Texas

Reply to
Neal McLain
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.