Please comment on my new blog [telecom]

There's a company here in my neighborhood that is looking for experts in a program called WordPress, so I'm looking for advice and how-to's that will get me up to speed quickly with the "new" way that websites are written. As a learning tool, I've started a blog using WordPress as its foundation: please visit it and provide any advice you can about the layout, look-and-feel, tips-and-techniques, and especially about ways that I can use it to improve the digest.

ob telecom: The blog might develop into a place to have opinions that are a bit too outre for the digest. Let's see.

formatting link
Bill

Reply to
Telecom Digest Moderator
Loading thread data ...

Learning tool I'm sure it is. But as a diary of quotidian events, I hope you won't be offended if I say, it's not of much interest to third persons. It should, rather, be more than just such a diary.

I will agree, though, that, sooner or later, there's nothing one has ever learned that doesn't turn out to be one's current lifesaver :-) .

Cheers, and don't stop on my account, that's not what I'd want, -- tlvp -- Avant de repondre, jeter la poubelle, SVP.

***** Moderator's Note *****

I'll try to bear up under the strain! ;-)

I didn't write that request very well, but I'll be more clear this time.

Don't worry about what's in the blog now: as much as it pains any world-class writer to have a humdrum reception for a new work, I can take the criticism OK.

What I'm looking for is knowledge, pointers, how-to's, etc. I want to learn a lot about WordPress, and quickly, so I put the offer to use the blog for telecom out there, and I'm hoping that I'll learn about the program and its management that way.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
tlvp

Depending on the hosting service you use a lot of them include WP (WordPress) by default.

I see you've put yours on [root] - cool. In my case I just used the appendage /blog

The thing about WP is you can customize the crap out of it if you know CSS.

Reply to
T

I know a fair amount about CSS, but I'm looking for something else, and I'm not sure of how to describe it. ISTM that Drupal and WordPress have become like Java: a standard platform underneath new code that serves as if it were the "operating system", i.e., it provides a standard "interface" that allows easy portability from one Drupal or WordPress site to another.

I guess I'm looking for the key to the "server room". I want to do something more than just-another-vaguely-familiar website, and I need to know if WordPress or Drupal can serve as a new kind of Java for web development, i.e., if I can use them to build commercial or other sites that aren't like the usual cookie-cutter affairs.

I hope I'm writing clearly. Let me put this another way: is TOC-in-vertical-column-on-left|Content-middle|Breadcrumbs-at-top so ingrained in the typical user's mind that no further work needs to be done? If so, then I will accept that my question is moot. If not, then I need to know if Drupal or WordPress can take me beyond the usual layouts.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Horne

On 11/3/2012 11:33 AM, Bill Horne wrote

Two free (and different) eBooks about WordPress:

and

should get you started. :-)

Thad

Reply to
Thad Floryan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.