Federal Court to Rule on Privacy of Mobile Phone Location Data [Telecom]

If anyone wants to hear how easy it is for law-enforcement to snoop on your physical location (with the friendly help of your mobile carrier--which will gladly sell your privacy for a bag of your tax dollars and as little documentation as a scribbled post-it note request), then call Sprint PCS' law-enforcement surveillance autoattendant at (800)877-7330, Option 4 for "GPS ping requests".

Telecom Digest list members in the Philadelphia area may want to visit the Federal Courthouse at 6th & Market Streets this Thursday morning (2/11/10) to see and hear U.S. government spooks argue why they shouldn't have to show probable cause to electronically track your movements and spend your tax dollars doing it. ACLU, EFF, and CDT lawyers will be there arguing for your electronic privacy rights.

A good public showing might convey to the Judges that "We the People" don't want our government performing unwarranted electronic surveillance on us. Plus it's a good opportunity to meet and thank lawyers from public-advocacy groups who are working hard to protect your electronic privacy rights.

(Please forgive my 'activist' posting, but I figured Telecom Digest list members might understand and care more about this issue than the general public, and are in a better position to educate others about it.)

-bernieS

formatting link

3rd Circuit to Mull Privacy of Cell Phone Data

Case offers rare glimpse into the mechanics of federal criminal investigations where nearly all documents are filed ex parte and stay under seal until indictments are handed up

Shannon P. Duffy The Legal Intelligencer February 08, 2010

In a case that could prove to be one of the most important privacy rights battles of the modern era, the 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals will hear argument this week on the proper legal standard to apply when prosecutors demand cell phone location data.

The data, which are recorded about once every seven seconds whenever a cell phone is turned on, effectively track the whereabouts and the comings and goings of every cell phone user.

Justice Department lawyers argue that, by statute, they need only show "reasonable grounds" to believe that such records are "relevant and material to an ongoing criminal investigation."

But a federal magistrate judge in Pittsburgh strongly disagreed in February 2008, issuing a 52-page opinion that said the prosecutors must meet the "probable cause" standard.

"This court believes that citizens continue to hold a reasonable expectation of privacy in the information the government seeks regarding their physical movements/locations -- even now that such information is routinely produced by their cell phones -- and that, therefore, the government's investigatory search of such information continues to be protected by the Fourth Amendment's warrant requirement," U.S. Magistrate Judge Lisa Pupo Lenihan wrote.

Now, in an appeal of Lenihan's ruling, the 3rd Circuit will become the first federal appellate court to tackle the question as Justice Department lawyers square off against a coalition of privacy and civil liberties lawyers from the Electronic Frontier Foundation, the Center for Democracy & Technology and the American Civil Liberties Union.

The appeal is scheduled to be heard on Thursday by 3rd Circuit Judges Dolores K. Sloviter and Jane R. Roth and visiting 9th Circuit Senior Judge A. Wallace Tashima.

Justice Department attorney Mark Eckenwiler will argue for the federal government and will be opposed by Kevin Bankston of the Electronic Frontier Foundation and law professor Susan Freiwald of the University of San Francisco School of Law.

[snip]

Under a lower standard, Lenihan said, the data would be "particularly vulnerable to abuse" because of the ex parte nature of the proceedings and the "undetectable nature" of the cell phone service provider's compliance with such an order.

[...]
Reply to
ed
Loading thread data ...

Not if I turn off my phone or leave it at home!

-- Julian Thomas: snipped-for-privacy@jt-mj.net

formatting link
In the beautiful Genesee Valley of Western New York State! -- -- Stupidity is NOT a survival trait.

Reply to
Julian Thomas

Which brings up a question. Why is it the people I personally know who are so vocal about their privacy the very ones posting every detail of their lives, including what I would call "too much information", to their Twitter, Facebook, Friendfeed, etc.?

John

Reply to
John Mayson

Ooooo, that hit a nerve. Some longtime friends recently invited me to Farcebook; I declined and included these URLs for their edification since one might as well put a gun to one's head (as one of the following articles is entitled):

Reply to
Thad Floryan

(URLs clipped)

I am on Facebook and Twitter. But I use both services quite differently than the unwashed masses.

I used Facebook to find old friends. We moved around a lot when I was a kid and I lost contact with most everyone. Now that we're caught up with each other I only very occasionally visit Facebook. I have much more productive things to do than toss vampires at people who find out which dictator I was in a former life.

Twitter. I'm working on a presentation that I'm giving tomorrow about how to use Twitter in the job search. If you follow the right people it can be a valuable tool. And if you tweet/retweet the right information you'll gain a following that can include recruiters and hiring managers.

But on the dark side I have seen posts to Twitter and Facebook ranging from the color of the fluid they woke up in a puddle of to rather embarrassing health issues. I would never post if I had so much as a sinus infection much less an issue with a body part that by law I must keep covered at all times while in public.

John

Reply to
John Mayson

Because people are conditioned to not trust the government but to trust business. My take is exactly the opposite because we can control the government via our voting patterns, the initiative process (in some states) and our campaign contributions.

However, unless we're rich enough to own substantial voting stock in Twitter, Facebook, or the Antichrist aka Google, we're not going to be able to control their policies at all.

Big business has conditioned us to believe that business=good, government=bad because it's in their own self-interest to make people think that way.

***** Moderator's Note *****

This thread is about the government's claim that it should be entitled to use cell phone location data without search warrants. Let's keep it from drifting too far off-topic.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
David Kaye

The hearing may have been cancelled on account of two feet of snow falling in Philadelphia and the need to clean it up. Many govt agencies and private businesses were closed.

I must respectfully disagree. I feel the other posters were correct in their concerns about the private sector seeking this kind of information for their own purposes.

How much protection do citizens have from their carriers--if their carriers decide to own their own release subscriber information?

In the old days the Bell System was powerful enough to be independent. By having a guaranteed revenue stream from its regulated customers, it was mostly insulated from outside pressures.

But today's carriers are scrappy and greedy and willing to sell. For instance, the old Bell didn't realize credit history, today's carriers do. For instance, If some big insurance company was willing to pay dearly for data about its customers so it have an excuse to jack up their rates; will the carriers comply?

Also, there is the possibility the govt will do an end-run around Constitutional protection by getting desired info from private sources--gathered per above.

***** Moderator's Note *****

I wasn't saying that the debate shouldn't happen: I was alluding to the strident tone of the post and how the poster was touching on issues larger than telecom.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
hancock4

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.