Pending legislation would allow robot calls to cell phones [telecom]

This bill apparently will allow sales calls to go to cell phones. As a low use cell phone user who still pays a la carte usage charges, I am naturally very upset at this proposal.

Further, I don't understand how Congress could propose this given how much everyday citizens hate the telemarketing calls they get now. The "do not call" lists are often ignored by sleazy telemarketers and it's very hard for consumers to fight back. Worse, many groups (non profits, political, "previous business") have exemptions so they call people freely despite a subscriber's wishes.

One article by Celeste Katz in the NY Daily News talks about this.

formatting link
(Alternate URL, same content:
formatting link
I would appreciate hearing the thoughts of other digest readers on this bill. Is anyone actually in favor of it? Are there any facts I'm not aware of? [public replies please]

Here is a statement for the bil. I must admit, based on past experience, I am suspicous:

formatting link
(Alternate URL, same content:
formatting link
Collection of other comments:

formatting link

***** Moderator's Note *****

I added the alternate URL's in the above post, and changed the subject to make it more clear.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
HAncock4
Loading thread data ...

Per HAncock4:

Call me a cynic, but the only explanation I can come up with is payola.

Reply to
Pete Cresswell

Per HAncock4:

+1 - and, in spite of the obvious negative effects on a small business operator who gets calls from customers, I am coming around to the view expressed by others that "Caller Pays" would solve the telemarketing problem.
Reply to
Pete Cresswell

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.