Online phone number lookups have changed [telecom]

I have a relative who is a lawyer, and I tried to call her this morning.

I drew a blank while trying to remember her phone number, so I went to anywho.com and looked up her name.

Anywho.com wanted money to provide the phone number. So did 411.com. So did yp.com.

Superpages.com didn't provide her number, but it did find "59 matches in MA", none of which matched her address, and all of which were nowhere near .

I am left wondering if online lookups are no longer available without charge. If there's been some sea change I'm unaware of, I'd like to read about it. I'd especially like to know if this means Ma Bell will have to publish phone books again.

Reply to
Bill Horne
Loading thread data ...

I just looked up my telephone number at 411.com. It gave me the correct number, and no charge.

The local phoney company here also has available on line their directory (as last published). Unfortunately, they have dropped out the names of those who are using some other phone service provider.

Bob K

Reply to
Bob K

When anywho and other directories can't find a match, they serve up adds for the paid services.

I just looked myself up on anywho.com. Using name and zip code did not find me. Using name, zip and state did find me. I did a few more searches for friends, and got the same results. Name and state got results as well.

Did you include a state when searching?

Reply to
Gary

formatting link
seems to still give numbers for free. Tried several out of state relatives, got numbers OK. Do have to click a 2nd link.

Reply to
Retired

On Friday, April 3, 2015 at 10:44:05 AM UTC-4, Bill Horne wrote: [snip]

I think whitepages.com may still provide a free number. But you are right, most of them do not anymore.

mm

Reply to
Michael

I tried anywho and it went to yellowpages.com and gave me the number of the person I entered. yp.com is also yellowpages.com.

411.com also worked.

Whitepages.com worked as well, with an output almost the same as what

411.com gave me, so 411.com and whitepages.com must be the same under the hood.

Not sure why they all conspired against you...

Reply to
Michael Moroney

--snip--

Yes, Verizon still "publishes" the white pages. You can access them online at

formatting link
(assuming your browser has low enough security settings). You can also ask for CDROM or dead tree local phone books.

formatting link

Reply to
Ron

can you really fault them for that?

jt - snipped-for-privacy@jt-mj.net

"God made the integers, the rest is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker

Reply to
Julian Thomas

That's fine for VZ numbers. What about the other outfits like Frontier, etc. Is there one place to look up a landline given name and location [regardless of the carrier]?

jt - snipped-for-privacy@jt-mj.net

PUBLIC NOTICE: Any use of this message, in any manner whatsoever, will increase the amount of disorder in the universe. Although no liability is implied herein, the consumer is warned that this process will ultimately lead to the heat death of the universe.

Reply to
Julian Thomas

I don't think so, unless the landline owner has requested that his number be listed. This can be done via

formatting link

For example, I have listed my Google Voice number this way, and I can be found on 411.com, whitepages.com, or yellowpages.com. For some strange reason, when I try anywho.com, I end up on a yellowpages.com page that says I can't be found, but if I re-enter the request on that page, it finds me. I'm not sure whether it's available to people who dial 411. I think this could also be used to list cell phones, but I'm not going to try listing mine.

The disadvantage to this service is that people don't know about it. It would be nice if the carriers would make their customers aware of it by asking them if they want to be listed in directories.

Reply to
Matt Simpson

Where I live there are a couple of third-party phone book publishers who list all the names and numbers for all the towns around here, whether they are Bell or independents. The Bell phone book contains only the subscribers served by Bell exchanges.

Reply to
jhhaynes

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.