'Offshoring Bill Becomes Big Focus of Rep. Hanna Town Hall [telecom]

This is from February, and I know that might be ancient history in the "Instant Gratification" world of yesterday's news cycle, but I'm interested to hear what others think about it, for two reasons:

1. I wonder if the CWA's action signals a return to union activism in general, and, if so, what other confrontations the union has done.

1. I also wonder why the I haven't seen anything about it in the national media.

Bill

'Offshoring Bill Becomes Big Focus of Rep. Hanna Town Hall

About 45 members of CWA Local 1126 just about took over the Utica, N.Y., town hall meeting of Rep. Richard Hanna (R-N.Y.)

The activists, members of CWA's Legislative-Political Action Team, pressed Hanna on his refusal so far to support the offshoring bill, which would stop federal grants and loan guarantees to companies that move call center jobs overseas.

Rest is at

formatting link
formatting link

P.S. There's a third thing that puzzles me, albeit not telecom related: I wasn't able to copy the headline off the web page, at least with Internet Exploder, and I had to call up the "Source" page to get a version I could copy and paste into this post. Why?

Reply to
Bill Horne
Loading thread data ...

A) because you're using a borked-up web-browser B) because you didin't do it right

p.s. it worked fine for me, using Firefox, Opera, or lynx.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

I happen to be in Hanna's district, which is one of the few swing districts left. He defeated the feckless Michael Arcuri who figured out only about a week before the election that playing Republican lite wasn't going to win any Republican votes and would only alienate his Democratic base.

Hanna ran as a moderate, the traditional kind of Republican here in upstate NY, but has in practice been a party line Rep, doing gimmicks like the balanced budget amendment (which has no chance of passage and wouldn't work.)

Hanna will never support what the CWA wants, but they may well remind people that he's not the representative we want.

R's, John

Reply to
John Levine

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.