Man sets sail using iPad for navigation, crashes into ferry when wifi disappears [telecom]

By Tanveer Mann

A man decided it would be a good idea to set sail in his Second World War boat with just his iPad [for] navigation.

David Carlin, 34, didn't last that long though, because soon after, he crashed into a ferry after his wifi connection disappeared.

The 34-year-old accidentally navigated the 50ft wooden Peggotty, which did not even have a compass, into the main shipping lane of the Humber Estuary during dense fog and then crashed into a cargo ferry last May.

formatting link

***** Moderator's Note *****

OK, I'm as likely to suffer from schadenfreude as the next guy, but this one is too good to hold back. Let's have a vote: how many readers will bet that alcohol was involved?

Oh, and the article goes on to mention that the sailor is - wait for it - a pilot with Associated British Ports.

I'll think up a few really good reasons not to trust an iPhone for marine navigation just as soon as I stop laughing, and if you don't see the humor, you're all wet.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.