iTunes password caching [telecom]

iTunes password caching

Mike Rohde racked up $190 in iTunes in-app purchases without knowing it, blaming an app called Fishies by PlayMesh for tricking his son into purchasing virtual items without a password prompt. He was obviously pretty upset - I would be too! - but calling it a "scam" probably goes too far. So what really happened?

It is fairly well known that after the App Store prompts for your iTunes password, you can download more apps for a certain length of time (at least a few minutes) before it requires a password again. What seemed less clear is that this applies to in-app purchases as well.

To be sure, I ran a test to confirm the behavior:

• Download a new free app from the App Store (I downloaded the current number 1 iPhone app, Farm Story Summer).
  • Enter your password to confirm the download.
  • As soon as it finishes, go to another completely different app (in my case it was Iconfactory's Ramp Champ, which I had downloaded months ago).
  • Purchase an in-app virtual item.
  • It prompts for whether you want to buy the item (the standard Apple prompt), but without requiring a password.

formatting link

PlayMesh Fishies App Story: iTunes Password Caching

formatting link

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.